Friday, May 7, 2010

no more meta desciptions

At PubCon last year in Las Vegas, I accidently ended up in this class for super extreme code lovers. I totally played it cool, though. Like when they asked what kind of idiot didn't know that we were moving from HTML to all XML, I didn't raise my hand. Completely blended in.

Anyway, during this session, it was announced that Google's search spiders would no longer put up with this meta tag crap. No more meta descriptions on your web sites, people. And this was back in November 2009.

So this is not by any means news, but some people are still out of the loop. So, I was excited to find the article, "5 Outdated SEO Tactics" in Website Magazine's May 2010 issue:


This article should be re-titled, "5 Outdated SEO Tactics and 1 Very Good Reason You Should Have Listened to Elyssa," but that's another story.

What I'm trying to say is: Pay attention if you hire a web marketing professional to improve your rankings in the search engines. If your web marketer's presentation or, even worse, your contract with the web marketing company states anything about working on meta tag descriptions, they're wasting your time and money.

1 comment: